- The Art of the Deposition: Teaching Residents About Medical Liability
- "Snake Oil" - Now Available in Cream Form!
- Beware the Subcontractor - Consequential Damage Caused by Subcontractor’s Faulty Workmanship Covered under Standard Form CGL Policy
- Presumption of Responsibility
- Overtime, Shmovertime
- Mr. Reilly has given numerous client and group specific presentations to organizations such as the National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel and the Pennsylvania Association of Independent Insurance Adjusters on defense and trial tactics.
- The Castellanos Decision by the Florida Supreme Court
- A Developmental Chronology of Maritime and Transportation Law In The U.S.
- Medical Marijuana in Pennsylvania - What Does It Mean for Employers?
- Link between Firefighting, Cancer, Inequities around Women Hold up SB27
Before a packed room of bill supporters and television cameras, senators pulled back from a long-awaited...
- Vote On Firefighter Cancer Bill Delayed As Both Sides Continue To Make Their Case
Legislation that would provide firefighters disabled by specified forms of cancer the presumption that the disease...
- Defense Beats Boaters After Boat Engine Falls Off
Celia Ampel, Daily Business Review
April 6, 2016
The case seemed pretty cut-and-dried at first.
A family of five...
- Boat Wake Damage Liability
By Raúl Chacón and John C. Scarborough, Jr.
Let's face it, pretty much all powerboats create a...
- What's Really In Your Marina Contract
By Charles Fort & Raul Chacon
Reading a marina contract, especially the fine print, is about as...
- Snake Oil Now Available in Cream Form
- Driving the Return of the Independent Contractor Defense to Workers' Comp Claims
Kevin J. Riefenstahl, New Jersey Law Journal
November 5, 2015
New Jersey's independent contractor defense has long been...
- "New PA Law Limiting Dispensing of Medications Should Be Welcomed By All Workers' Compensation Parties"
- “McPloyer”- Who is the “real” employer in a franchised operation?
- The Chartwell Law Offices, LLP traveling to New Orleans, LA for the 2015 RIMS Annual Conference & Exhibition
- Chartwell Attorney Kimberly Moraski Selected as 2015 Michael K. Smith Excellence in Service Award Winner
The Young Lawyers Division of the Pennsylvania Bar Association has selected Chartwell Attorney Kimberly Moraski to...
- 100 Years of Workers Comp is No Trivial Pursuit By- Megan Dougherty
In June of 2015, the Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation Act will celebrate 100 years of workplace legislation....
- Chartwell Partner Michael Sherman Shares His Blog - "PA Work Comp Defense"
Michael D. Sherman is a partner with the Pittsburgh location of the Chartwell Law Offices, LLP....
- Chartwell Sponsoring a Team for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society- "Light the Night Walk"
They say when someone is diagnosed with cancer it is not just that one person –...
- Nathaniel Holmes Named 2014 Pro Bono Award Winner by the PA Bar Association
Nathaniel M. Holmes of the Chartwell Office in Harrisburg, was recently honored as the 2014 Pennsylvania...
- Virginia King appointed to the LLS Light the Night Walk Executive Committee
Congratulations to Ms. King, who was recently appointed to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Light the...
- Patrick Heffron has been invited to join the Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
Mr. E. Patrick Heffron has been invited to join the Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- Statutory Presumptions- The Future of WC for Municipal Entity Employers
By Kristopher A. Kachline, Esquire, Chartwell Law Offices
Municipal entity employers are faced with mounting pressure to...
- The Spread of Occupational Cancer Claims- Why Cancer is Going to be the New Fibromyalgia
By Cliff Goldstein, Esquire, The Chartwell Law Offices
Workers’ compensation claims often come in bunches – filed...
- Responsibility for Sidewalk Detectible Warning Surface and Handicap Ramps
- Good News for Employers- An Overview of Patton v. Worthington Associates Inc.
Good news for Employers: on March 26, 2014, the Supreme Court reaffirmed the longstanding principle that...
- Krista Fowler Acuna to speak at the CLM 2014 Annual Conference
- “Navigating through the Shoals of the Marine Hull Policy- A Chart for Insurers” University of San Francisco Maritime Law Journal, 17 U.S.F.Mar.L.J. 89 (2005)
- All That Floats is Not a Boat- The Supreme Court's Lozman Decision Makes Waves Impacting Multiple Areas of Law
- Home Inspections are a Good Idea- but Don't Oversell
- Houck Anderson Merges with The Chartwell Law Offices, LLP
- "Considerations in Cases Involving Intoxicated Employees in Pennsylvania"
- Advanced Issues In Judgment Enforcement, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2003
- Bad Faith and Punitive
Bad Faith and Punitive Damages, Annotations to First-Party Insurance Cases, Statutes and Regulations, Second Edition (2000),...
- Benefit Protection Expanded for Employees Called to Active Duty
- Bureau Requiring New Format for Medical Payment Screens in Response to Dept. of Labor and Industry v. WCAB (Crawford)
- Calculating Interest: Making the "Compound" "Simple"
- Chartwell attorneys author paper on property coverage issues related to Deepwater Horizon Gulf Oil Spill
- Commonwealth Court Reverses its Prior Holding
- Contribution and Indemnity
Contribution and Indemnity, Chap. 140, Florida Tort Law, Matthew Bender Rescission, Chap. 35, Florida Jury Instruction...
- Does the Language in a C&R Agreement Really Matter?
In short – absolutely. Oftentimes, defense attorneys who prepare Compromise and Release Agreements do not put...
- Dram Shop Liability
Comment: Dram Shop Liability; The Blurry Status of Drinking Companions, 34 ST. Louis ULJ 53 (1990)
- Economic Stimulus Significantly Impacts Human Resources
- Employment/Hiring Issues
Employment/Hiring Issues - Presenter - Philadelphia Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers, March 2011
- Final Rules for Mothers' and Newborns' Health Protection Act of 1996
- FMLA & USERRA - What is the Relationship
- FMLA Coverage Expanded to Include Families of Military Personnel
- Guidance for No-Match Letters Issued
- Health Care Reform
Reporting on W-2 Forms Can Mean Only One Thing, Health Law Colloquim, 2010
- House of Representatives Seek to Expand ADA Protection
- How to be an Effective Witness
- How to Effectively Communicate with Attorneys
- Legislation Significantly Impacts Practice before WCJ and WCAB
- MidAtlantic Deposition Program
MidAtlantic Deposition Program, Taking and Defending Depositions National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Philadelphia, PA 1995-Present
- Panelist for National Business Institute on Commercial Loan Documentation in Pennsylvania
Panelist for National Business Institute on Commercial Loan Documentation in Pennsylvania, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act,...
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute
Pennsylvania Bar Institute, " How to Properly Document a Settlement Agreement After the New Joint and...
- Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation: 2006-2007 Update
- Post Catastrophe Looting Likely to be Considered a Separate Occurrence
- Proposed Criminal Background Check Guidelines
- Psychiatric Claims - Investigation and Proof - 25th Annual SEAK National Workers’ Compensation and Occupation Medicine Seminar
- Recent Cases Throw Deepening Insolvency Into the Deep End, March 2007 Bankruptcy Supplement to Legal Intelligencer
- Recent Legislation Prohibits Genetic Discrimination
- Recent Ruling in Favor of Chartwell Client Sheds Light on Statute of Limitations in Bad Faith Cases
- Resignation from Employment & Avoidance of Retaliation Claim
- Restore the Trust
Creating Fiduciary Duty of Loyalty Between Patients and Physicians, 2009 Awaiting final review for publication
- Sabers Continue to Rattle
Sabers Continue to Rattle in to Evidence Spoliation Battle, Leaders Product Liability Law & Strategy” September...
- Stomp Out Smoking...Stomp Out Claims...
- Summary of Pennsylvania Auto Insurance Law
- Summary/Assessment of Proposed Legislation
- Supplemental Proposed Rules for Social Security Numbers and No-Match Letters
- Supreme Court Amicus Brief - Pension Offset Issue
- Survey of Bad Faith Insurance Law - Northeast United States
- The Ethical and Legal Consequences of Lateral Moves between Law Firms
- The Interplay Between The Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation Act, The Unemployment Compensation Law, The FMLA and the ADA
- The Interplay Between The Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation Act, The Unemployment Compensation Law, The FMLA, The ADA, Title VII, and COBRA
- There is No Right to Subrogation for Heart and Lung Benefits Paid as Against a Claimant's Recovery for Injuries Sustained in a Motor Vehicle Accident.
- Thorny Issues with the Businessowners Policy
"Thorny Issues with the Businessowners Policy” – PLRB/LIRB Central Regional Adjusters Conference (Sept. 18 - 19,...
- WCJ Brief – Asserting Subrogation Under Section 319 in a Medical Only Claim
- What Constitutes Timely Notice of an Employee's Ability to Return to Work?
- When Does a Workers' Compensation Claimant Have an Obligation to Begin Pursuing Employment Opportunities?
- Why Medication is Really So Expensive, Health Law Colloquim, 2008
Why Medication is Really So Expensive, Health Law Colloquim, 2008
- Workers' Compensation and the Americans with Disabilities Act: Are Injured Employees "Disabled"?
- Workers' Compensation Compromise & Release (C&R)
"Workers' Compensation Compromise & Release (C&R) Agreements: Reopening and Other Issues," Judge David B. Torrey and...
- Workers' Compensation Compromise & Release (C&R) Agreements - Reopening and Other Issues
- Workers' Compensation Defendants Severely Impaired by Recent Commonwealth Court Decision
The Pennsylvania State Police are not the only ones tightening the definition of "impairment”. The Commonwealth...
- Impairment Rating Evaluation: The Defense Perspective
In simple terms, the IRE allows the employer to cap a claimant’s entitlement to indemnity benefits...
- President Signs ADA Amendments Act of 2008
- Bad Faith Seminar Presentation - Identifying the Type of Tort, Related Causes of Action and Damages
- Amicus Curiae Brief filed on behalf of The Pennsylvania Defense Institute in The Pennsylvania State University v. Workers' Compensation Appeal Board (Hensal)
- Amicus Curiae Brief – Orenich v. WCAB (Medical Only Claims)
- The Pennsylvania Self-Insurers' Association, "Administering 'Medical Only' Claims - Confusing Guidance Offered by Commonwealth Court in Brutico and Orenich"
- Pennsylvania Law Weekly, "The Supreme Court Faces the Jeanes Hospital Conundrum"
- Amicus Curiae Brief - Zerby v. WCAB (Reading Anthracite)
- Amicus Curiae Brief -- Gardner v. WCAB (Genesis Health Ventures)
- "Defending Lost Earning Capacity Claims", For the Defense, Sept 2012
- "The Idiosyncratic or Unusuaslly Susceptible Plaintiff", For The Defense, November 2011
- 6th Circuit Creates Barrier to Coverage for Water Damage Under Ensuing Loss Exception to Faulty Workmanship Exclusion
- Another Perspective: "May An Employer Seek Subrogation Under Section 319 Of The Act Where It Has Paid Disability And Medical Benefits Under A Notice Of Temporary Compensation Payable?"
- Pennsylvania Defense Institute, Counterpoint Magazine, "Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation Earning Power Analysis: Tossing a Legal Salad”